New year is a great time to create new habits, we usually start keenly and overhaul our regime but if it’s too difficult or requires lots of energy or big changes, chances are by February you are back to you old habits. Lots of clients come to me and say they don’t have time to cleanse and tone or the forget to take supplements. I hold my hands up, this used to be me but with 3 children under 8, a busy house and my own business I have found ways to incorporate it into my routine and it just all becomes ingrained in my day.
Here’s my top 5 tips to help you create that new routine:
1. Taking your makeup off doesn’t have to wait until bed time. Quite often I remove my make up and cleanse with lotion and a face cloth when I’m home with the kids after school or their activities. I’ll do it while they are in the shower or brushing their teeth or I’m getting changed out of my work clothes. My skin feels clearer and lighter and it means that when the time comes I can just fall in between the sheets.
2. No time to tone. The image of a lady set in front of her vanity mirror using cotton pads to cleanse and tone whilst preparing for the day is just not happening in our house while we rush to get to where we need to be. My best advice for you is to incorporate it into something you do already. I shower and cleanse at the same time. Stage 1 complete. I’m dry and putting on my underwear then pat my toner on my face (no cotton wool required) stage 2 complete. Bra next and then moisturise with serums cocktailed in are applied, stage 3 complete. Deodorant, clothes and my hair is brushed then my RAD is patted in EVERY DAY for protection against SPF’s, stage 4 complete. My bottles are lined up in my bedroom, with easy access and it’s taken no more than 30 seconds to incorporate it into getting dressed which I have to do every day.
3. Forgetting to take skin care supplements. A common problem. Do you often for get to brush your teeth? Pop your supplements next to your tooth brush, this gives you two opportunities a day to take them and a water supply on tap (see what I did there?).
4. Information overload. With marketing reaching us 24/7 it’s hard to know what’s right for your skin and it can be expensive to use something that will not have the desired effect. Its easy to stick with what you’ve always done. But.. You can’t keep doing the same thing and expect different results. See a skin care specialist, have your skin analysed to see what happening below the surface and start with the basics. Get a good routine of cleanse, tone, moisturise and protect. incorporate this into your daily routine like in point 1 using products that are full of vitamin A and anti-oxidants, these are the ingredients scientifically proven to improve your skin’s health and appearance. And when you have embedded these good habits into your routine, adding a roller of an evening or the odd home skin peel is no problem.
5. Keep it clean. Not just your skin but the tools you use every day. Wash your makeup brushes, take them with you to your facial specialist who will use specific brush shampoo to clean them for you and don’t forget your makeup bag, put it through the washing machine or clean with a suitable cleaner regularly. If you use a cloth to clean your face treat it like your knickers, a clean one every day!